OSU Men's Varsity "O" Alumni Association: Mission Statement
The mission statement of the OSU Men's Varsity "O" Alumni Association is very simple:
"Athletes Helping Athletes™"
This is accomplished through a variety of different programs, benefits and initiatives.
Some of these include:
- Providing a contribution to the general scholarship of the sport obtaining the highest team grade-point-average for the year.
- Providing a contribution to the general scholarship of the sport with the most improved team grade-point-average for the year.
- Awarding an annual post-graduate scholarship to a graduating student-athlete who plans to continue their education at The Ohio State University.
- Endowing scholarships that allow deserving student-athletes to obtain a proper education while attending The Ohio State University.
- Establishing career opportunities for graduating student-athletes by networking with former student-athletes throughout the country.
- Offering members of the Men’s Varsity "O" benefits that provide opportunities to enhance their current well-being; such as discounted screenings at Columbus-area Healthwise Wellness Diagnostic Centers.
- Other VO member benefits like the Letter Jacket Replacement Project which afforded members the opportunity to purchase a new (and potentially better fitting) original Varsity "O" Letter Jacket at a substantial discount.
- Initiating ongoing fundraising efforts to continue to endow further scholarships to benefit future scholar-athletes that wish to learn and participate at The Ohio State University.
- Recognizing the very best athletes that represented The Ohio State University during their time at the University through the nomination, election and induction process of the Ohio State Athletic Hall of Fame.
There are many additional benefits that the group strives to provide. Yet all of the efforts are designed to accomplish one major focus: to have former athletes continue to give back and help current athletes.